All Slime Animation Description

Azmio

I recommend you read this document under the same name on the miro board here:
https://miro.com/welcomeonboard/ZkR...3MzU3MjU1MDU5NTQ3?invite_link_id=850529557734

Feeding Animation:

WHO: Slime Creature.

WHEN: This animation happens when the player has food in his hands and feeds it to the slime. There won't be an animation for the characters arm but the food will dissapear from his hands and the slime will be overjoyed when that happens. That should be enough to tell the player he just gave delicious food to the slime.

WHY: Why is the slime happy. In this world the slime only lives for food and comfort in his environment (House, grass, temperature...). The player's goal is to fullfill both of these to keep the slime happy. A big part of the goals in the game are closely linked to making the slime happy. Therefor we can see how the slime's reaction to being happy should be a big reward for doing these tasks.

HOW: This is much more up to you than me but you do need to follow a few rules and themes.
We want the slime to look Full of Energy, Cute and Squishy. An example would be:

Brainstorming & Organization.jpg

For rules I would say don't make it go under ground or move in space apart from up maybe because of potential collision problems. The length of the animation should be under 2 seconds I would say.
These are soft rules though, ultimately you can do what you want if you think it will work. You might want to run it by someone else first though.

Petting Animation:

WHEN: This animation happens when the player clicks on a button when looking at the slime (We will probably make a UI Interaction Wheel in the future). The player won't need any item or anything for this one, he can do it basically at any time unless he isn't in range of the slime.

WHY: This is a feature because it closely reminds players of interactions with their own pets, we want to make clear that these creatures are pets for the player. I would recommend looking or thinking about typical animal behavior for some of these animations. If you click on the pet key as a player your just looking for visual cuteness and feedback I think, there will probably little to no gameplay purpose to this action.

HOW: This is much more up to you than me but you do need to follow a few rules and themes.
We want the slime to look Cute, Squishy and Comfortable (Yes these are going to be fairly similar for all slime animation).

For some rules again I would say don't make him move in the space too much because this action will be able to be done anywhere and maybe don't try to make something perfect. We have quite a few animations to go through, don't think of this as the final product but just a step in the right direction. Quantity over quality for now I would say.
Timing wise this can be a very long or even looping, it's more about a peaceful time with your slime than a quick reward interaction.
These are soft rules though, ultimately you can do what you want if you think it will work. You might want to run it by someone else first though.

Leveling Up Animation:

WHEN:
The slime levels up along with the Trust system. The trust system has 5 levels right now but with each level you get another exciting interaction with your pet as he trusts you more and your relationship grows. Each time you move to the next trust level the slime will do this animation.

WHY: Like many of the creature animation, this is a simple reward for progressing through the game. In the future we might make this into an "evolution animation" so like the actual appearance of the creature will change. For now there is no visual change only a mechanical one which will be indicated by this animation and the UI over the slime with it's name. This means that it is important for this animation to be distinct from others and should be identifiable easily.

We want the slime to look Full of Energy (Even more than the Feeding Anim), Squishy and Happy.
I actually think the animation I described in the feeding animation fits more this animation haha.

In terms of rules, little movement in space maybe a little because we want him to feel energized and it could help separate the animation from all other making it special. The animation should be short and explosive I would say but this is up for debate of course.

Carrying Animation:

WHEN: The animation plays while in the arms of the character. So this is not an animation for the character picking up the slime or dropping it, it is one for when the character is in the process of carrying the slime in his arms. This means we won't know when the player will drop the creature and stop the animation.

WHY: There needs to be something communicating to the player that he is carrying the slime. We can see the slime on the bottom right corner of the screen in First person and we can see the slime in the characters arms in Third person. Since we see him differently in both states we need an animation that could look good with both styles of perspective.

We want the slime to look Squishy and Happy.
This is a great moment to show off how squishy the slime is. When you walk your body goes up and down and so that movement should show on the slime in this way:

Brainstorming & Organization (1).jpg

I am unsure in what way we want the character to carry the slime, I will leave that part up to you but we do know the animation must loop.
In terms of rules, he needs to stay generally in the same place even more than in other animations. This is to make sure the player can always see him. This almost like an exaggerated Idle animation I feel

Thanks for reading!

Patreon