Foraging Module

RedEagle_P1

Administrator
Staff member
Proud Citizen of Dawn
Setting expectations

Before I get into talking about what we can create here with the foraging module, I want to give some context. Many people who don't understand development don't realize that complex games are one of the most complicated things we produce as a modern society. It's highly technical and it's very difficult and you definitely don't want to start by doing something very difficult.

I assume 100% of this module will be redone at some point.

You should not:

✔️ Expect this game to be fun
✔️ Expect this game to be playable :ROFLMAO:

We are developing modules in order to figure out what it takes to make things as a team, to experiment with ideas that will one day become foundational.

Please keep suggestions in-line with capability. We need small-scale, minor improvements! :-p

What we are creating:

Summary:

The absolute bare bones experience of walking, picking up stuff and crafting with it.

Let’s break that down:
  1. Walking
  2. Gathering
  3. Crafting
  4. Planting/Farming

Walking

Where will people be walking?
Terrain​
What will this terrain look like?
Ideally we want a block-based system similar to Minecraft. However, this is a big question in itself. Let's stick to a voxel-asset made terrain? Just plain, magica-made assets stretched out? Anyone got ideas and feedback for a doable system?​
Biome?
List of plants:
Cornflower​
Chamomile​
Greenspire​
Young trees​
List of trees:
Oak​
Pine​
Hanging Birch​
Common Ash​
Beech​
Spruce​
Hornbeam​

Gathering
Will people be able to dig up dirt?
With a shovel.​
How will people pick up stuff?
Hands. Shovel. Pickaxe.​
What will people find? -- > What can they do with what they find?
Fruit (Food)
- Berries --> Food​
Vegetables (Food)
- Carrots​
- Cabbage​
- Peas​
- Mushrooms​
Grains:
- Barley​

Seeds
- Seeds for each tree mentioned above? --> Plant?​
Edible - Other:
- Herbs​
- Honey​
- Nuts​
- Roots​
Animal left-overs:
- Bone --> Craft tools?​
- Droppings --> Your idea here :P​
Building materials:
- Clay --> Clay Urn​
- Mud --> Mud Bricks​
Leaves
- Leaves for all the tree types listed. --> Thatch, Cordage? Tinder?​
Trees
- Wood --> Building​
- Resign --> Crafting​
- Gum --> Crafting​
Flax - Yarn​

Fish - Food​
Insects
- Bees --> Your idea here :P​
- Butterflies --> Your idea here :P​
- Worms --> Your idea here :P​
- Salamander --> Your idea here :P​
- Lizards --> Eat​
- Grasshopper --> Eat​

Last edited:

RedEagle_P1

Administrator
Staff member
Proud Citizen of Dawn
WIP

Crafting:
What will people craft?
In what order will they craft it?
How do we limit people's options so they are not overwhelmed by options?

Smoking Station -- Preserve Food

Planting/Farming

Ideally, we would also like to have:

Eagles-sync into game
Inventory-sync out of game
Cooking

Out-of-scope-but-fun ideas:

I would love to have it so that

More questions:

Will all this stuff be findable from the start or will certain items be more accessible near where players spawn and not where they don't?
What can people do with what they find?
What will fall off a tree when you cut it down?
Will they face challenges such as cold and hunger?
Do people sleep? Do they need it?
How will they solve these challenges?
Will stuff that drop on the ground disappear?
What Unity assets will we use?

Key choices?

Do I eat food or plant it?
Do I burn wood or build with it?
Where do I place my first crafting station?
Do I chop down the tree for wood or wait for fruits to grow?

Plants will need to re-grow around the player. Re-growing system.
Inventory system
Cooking System

Last edited:
WIP

Crafting:
What will people craft?

Smoking Station -- Preserve Food

Planting/Farming

Ideally, we would also like to have:

Eagles-sync into game
Inventory-sync out of game
Cooking

Out-of-scope-but-fun ideas:

I would love to have it so that

More questions:

Will all this stuff be findable from the start or will certain items be more accessible near where players spawn and not where they don't?
What can people do with what they find?
What will fall off a tree when you cut it down?
Will they face challenges such as cold and hunger?
Do people sleep? Do they need it?
How will they solve these challenges?
Will stuff that drop on the ground disappear?
What Unity assets will we use?

Key choices?

Do I eat food or plant it?
Do I burn wood or build with it?
Where do I place my first crafting station?
Do I chop down the tree for wood or wait for fruits to grow?

Plants will need to re-grow around the player. Re-growing system.
Inventory system
Cooking System
What will people craft?

• For stone age, no crafting bench or table is needed. Using your hands and a basic stone can craft everything needed in the beginning
  • Things that can be crafted are as follows
    • Wooden Shovel
      • log(small, carved using the stone tool to have a handle and shovel head shape)
      • Used to terraform soft surfaces, used in farming to make and fill in hole that will house seeds, used to gather soft materials
    • Stone Axe
      • log(small, acts as handle, carved into appropriate size with a carved hole in the top, middle to hold head), sharpened stone(carved using the stone tool into axe shape
      • Used to more efficiently chop trees down and hunt
    • Stone Pick
      • log(small, acts as handle, carved into appropriate size with a carved hole in the top, middle to hold head), sharpened stone(carved using the stone tool into pick shape
      • Used to mine through rock, hard ground, and other surfaces
    • Stone tool
      • 2 stone(banged together, using one to shape the other into a sharp object)
      • Stone tool can be used multiple times(depending on quality) to make other tools. It can be used to mine materials, chop wood, and dig, however, it is slow at these tasks and can take up to 3 times as long to accomplish them.

1. Stone tool : Gather 2 stones off the ground or from mining, use hands to craved one stone, using the other as a hammer and chisel, into its final shape
  2. Stone axe: use stone tool to chop down a tree, chop a log into smaller logs, use stone tool to carve a handle out of a small log including a hole to insert an axe head, use stone tool to shape another stone into an axe shape, insert axe head into hole in the wooden handle
  3. Stone pick: use stone axe to chop down a tree, chop a log into smaller logs, use stone tool to carve a handle out of a small log including a hole to insert a pick head, use stone tool to shape another stone into an pick shape, insert pick head into hole in the wooden handle
  4. Wooden shovel: use stone axe to chop down a tree, chop a log into smaller logs, use stone tool to carve the small handle and head of the shovel

For foraging, keep things in very broad terms such as: fruit, grain, vegetable, stone, wood. To keep the complexity, each item can have a different quality to show that while multiple things can be in a similar category and also be very different in how beneficial they are.

Keep crafting simple with tools like the stone tool being universal and having multiple uses. Limiting the amount of materials needed

More questions:

Will all this stuff be findable from the start or will certain items be more accessible near where players spawn and not where they don't? - All basic items should be finable from the start. Loose stone and trees as well as animals and other forms of food should be not right at a spawn point always, but also not very far from any spawn point such as within a 500 m radius of spawn

What can people do with what they find? - They will be able to gather anything they find that is intractable and “hold” the items with a set weight limit for the capacity

What will fall off a tree when you cut it down? - Fruit if it is a fruit tree, leaves, sticks, and the trunk itself

Will they face challenges such as cold and hunger? - Cold and hunger will be a factor, but they will only give negative attributes such as decreased crafting speed, decreased walking speed, and lower carrying capacity rather than being deadly.

Do people sleep? Do they need it? - Sleep, like cold and hunger will be a factor and have similar effects. Sleep is defined by time being off the game to encourage players to take breaks, but not forcing very long, 2-3 hour breaks. Sleep would take 10-20 minutes which would not follow the time scale of the crafting, but it is meant to encourage a player to go get food, go outside, or just simply have time away from the screen every 2-3 hours.

How will they solve these challenges? - Cold can be avoided by being inside a warm room during cold times or wearing warm clothes, hunger can be avoided by eating, and sleep requires a player to sleep for at least 10 minutes every 2-3 hours.

Will stuff that drop on the ground disappear? - No, dropped items will not disappear, but would degrade in quality if not collected again for a set amount of time. If the quality hits 0 the item will then despawn

What Unity assets will we use? Undecided at the moment

Key choices?

Do I eat food or plant it? Plant it

Do I burn wood or build with it? Build

Where do I place my first crafting station? In an established home area where you plan to build and sleep

Do I chop down the tree for wood or wait for fruits to grow? Wait for fruits to grow

RedEagle_P1

Administrator
Staff member
Proud Citizen of Dawn
I think we definitely need to give the stone took a new name. Something relevant to its function and rooted in how things were done in the past

Patreon