Refining slimes

Refining slimes
The goal of the feature is making slimes vital to the game, while also keeping gathering interesting (documentation on gathering is linked at the bottom). Blocks gathered from the environment, will be unrefined blocks. These blocks will have very low block strength, and can't be used for crafting. If you ffeed these blocks to a slime, the slime will produce a refined version of the block for you. This block will have much higher block strength, and can be used for crafting. This means we can have interesting gathering mechanics and tools, but still keep slimes at the heart of the game.

The way it works, is that some slimes will be refining slimes (other slimes have slightly different roles). Refining slimes are for example a wood slime, a stone slime or a metal slime. These slimes can be fed the unrefined version of their material that, e.g. a wood slime is fed unrefined wood. The slime then produces a refined version of that material for the player. The refined material can be placed as a block and/or used to craft new tools and blocks. Once you have a refined block, you can place it, pick it up, and place it again, without going through the refining process.
From one piece of unrefined material, the slime produces an amount of refined material according to it’s loyalty level.

There are also different tiers of each material. A slime can refine any tier resource of their given material, e.g. a wood slime can refine all tiers of wood. However, they have to be a certain loyalty level to refine higher tier resources. The tiers of resources are listed documented in the link below.
Resource tiers

Below is a list of refining slimes, and their inputs and outputs based on their loyalty level.
Refining slimes

Other gathering documentation:
Gathering mechanics
Effects of higher tier tools
Note: Some aspects of the gathering documentation is outdated.

Last edited:

RedEagle_P1

Administrator
Staff member
Proud Citizen of Dawn
but cannot be used(can’t be placed as blocks,
Are you sure about this? That is quite a leap. If we don’t allow people to like pick up a grass block and put it back down somewhere else are we ruining part of the fun of the lego?

Azmio

This would also require a slime to be on the very first island you spawn on, we didn't think about that when in the meeting

Are you sure about this? That is quite a leap. If we don’t allow people to like pick up a grass block and put it back down somewhere else are we ruining part of the fun of the lego?
The blocks you gather material from, are not the ones you place your self after refining them. Ones they are refined, you can detroy them and place them again as you want. I'll update the document for clarity

This would also require a slime to be on the very first island you spawn on, we didn't think about that when in the meeting
True, i think there should be a slime on the first island. Slimes are the most important thing in the game, so they should also be one of the first things the player is introduced to.

RedEagle_P1

Administrator
Staff member
Proud Citizen of Dawn
The blocks you gather material from, are not the ones you place your self after refining them. Ones they are refined, you can detroy them and place them again as you want. I'll update the document for clarity
TBH based on similar systems I made in the past I dont think players will like this at all. People like to be able to just shovel a bit of dirt and put it down. People like things simple. The complex systems help devs with big ideas but frustrate people in my experience.

I think we should think about another way of accomplishing the same goal you have with this by another means.

TBH based on similar systems I made in the past I dont think players will like this at all. People like to be able to just shovel a bit of dirt and put it down. People like things simple. The complex systems help devs with big ideas but frustrate people in my experience.

I think we should think about another way of accomplishing the same goal you have with this by another means.
I'd argue that simply mining blocks and placing them shortly after is not something players are gonna be doing a lot in our game, unlike a game like Minecraft. Our game is more about slowly gaining enough blocks to build bridges to new islands, and build houses for slimes. In Valheim you have to craft every placeable item. No raw resource can be placed directly. The same goes for Forager. It works in these games, because you only build a select few important structures, you are not constantly reshaping the landscape, like you are in Minecraft. In this sense, i think our game is closer to Valheim and Forager than Minecraft.

RedEagle_P1

Administrator
Staff member
Proud Citizen of Dawn
I'd argue that simply mining blocks and placing them shortly after is not something players are gonna be doing a lot in our game, unlike a game like Minecraft. Our game is more about slowly gaining enough blocks to build bridges to new islands, and build houses for slimes. In Valheim you have to craft every placeable item. No raw resource can be placed directly. The same goes for Forager. It works in these games, because you only build a select few important structures, you are not constantly reshaping the landscape, like you are in Minecraft. In this sense, i think our game is closer to Valheim and Forager than Minecraft.
I can’t say I’m confused because we have infinite creativity and exploration of two of our core pillars. Ultimate creative freedom and boundless exploration. The unique selling point of our game is we are marrying The creative freedom or something like Minecraft to the cuteness of something like slime rancher.

I can’t say I’m confused because we have infinite creativity and exploration of two of our core pillars. Ultimate creative freedom and boundless exploration. The unique selling point of our game is we are marrying The creative freedom or something like Minecraft to the cuteness of something like slime rancher.
You'll still have full creative freedom. You just have to use your slimes to get blocks for building. A big part of the appeal of Valheim is also the creative freedom the game have, and as i said, in that game you have to craft every placeable item, and it works fine. Wasn't the idea always that slimes were the primary way to gain blocks?

Patreon