THE guide to leading a daily meeting

Watch first
https://youtu.be/0Jq54xKjNJA

Daily meeting guide
This is a guide to help anyone leading the daily meeting, if there are any questions about this process please reach out to the production team, a member that has previously lead a daily meeting or Red.

Before the daily meeting
  1. As a meeting leader your job is to make sure the meeting runs smoothly.
  2. If you are unable to lead a daily meeting you are in charge of, make sure you find a suitable replacement 1 day beforehand so no one shows up to an empty meeting. Do your best to make sure Red and/or founders are not the replacement. Build relationships with the social people who show up to meetings and put them in charge of meetings once in a while so you can help develop the talent that will back you up in case you need a break.
  3. Reminders must be sent to the team to join the meeting. The person in charge of reminders (has “reminders” tag) should touch base with you if the reminders are sent. In case of a massive emergency you need to act as a backup.
    1. Reminders are easy to do quickly if you know the keyboard shortcuts. Visit #remind-list in discord to see who to remind. https://discord.gg/VukRdXVBjP
    2. Hopefully this never happens but it’s good to know in case it does.

Rules of the daily meeting
  1. Meeting starts at the agreed time and punctuality is required
  2. If the card cannot be progressed and person cannot be reached for more than 1 week, move the card to Wall of Shame (if the person becomes available and completes the card then it can be put into review again).

The basics
What
  • A positive attitude
    • You are the first point of contact for most people who join us and we want to give them a sense of our positive and welcoming culture
  • Welcome people
    • Make sure to identify people who are new and reach out to them
  • Motivate the people
    • Get people excited about moving things forward if you can. This might require a little bit of improvisation but do it how you feel comfortable doing it.
How
  • Engage every person 1 on 1
    • Make sure everyone gets a task
    • Make sure nobody is stuck behind a blocker
  • Go through all the tasks on the Trello
    • Ping people who are behind on work
After-event
  • Get talking between the teams going
    • Make sure nobody says bye as then everyone leaves.
Details
  1. Using the Trello board, the person leading the meeting will go through the cards in each list (from right to left i.e. Testing to To Do)
  2. If there is a person assigned to a card then they can provide an update on the card answering these questions
    • Can this card move to the next list? (i.e. towards the Wall of Fame)
    • Is the due date still correct? If there is no due date then when will this be ready?
    • Are there any blockers for this task?
  3. If there is not a person assigned to the card then a member of the relevant team (ideally the team leader) will be asked who can be assigned to it
  4. Actions and notes will be added to the card before moving onto the next card
  5. Meeting concludes when all cards have been reviewed and updated and everyone has updated the team on their progress
  6. If a task is done, put it on the wall of fame and really hype it up. We love it when people are moving!
Order of Trello review during meeting

An example of a good Trello card

• Note a person is attached to this card
  • Note the estimate of how long is needed and the relevant department is attached to this card
  • Note a due date is attached to this card

RedEagle_P1

Administrator
Staff member
Proud Citizen of Dawn
Great guide, I found this video insightful. Ignore the click-bait title, its real value on the inside:

One thing it helped me think about is how we can really involve more people in managing the cards of their team.

Great guide, I found this video insightful. Ignore the click-bait title, its real value on the inside:

One thing it helped me think about is how we can really involve more people in managing the cards of their team.
Regarding the managing cards, I have ideas. I just need to find the time to get the plan out to see how everyone feels about it.

Patreon