The new interaction system

RedEagle_P1

Administrator
Staff member
Proud Citizen of Dawn
Goals:
  1. Making the "Compassion" part of the game feel more personal.
  2. Our over-all game goals include making the game as playable as possible by the largest number of people possible.

Thesis:

When watching players play our game, I noticed they wanted to do everything by clicking rather than using keys. I was thinking we could use this to our advantage.

What if we had a pause menu where the mouse would unbind (no longer used for movement) from the screen allowing you to do things like pet creatures, throw balls and gently rock a swing?

Nintendogs does something similar:

Moreover, Slime Rancher VR has this feel:

Maybe one day you could hand-feed the creatures too:

How it would work:

When players push ESC to pause the game they would go into a mode where they can access different things and also use them with what they see in front of them. They would also be pushed into 1st person. In this screen you could whistle to get the attention of the creature to be able to do things like feed and pet it.

You can click on the inventory icon (middle left, light blue) it would bring up the backpack (white/blue bottom left) and allow you to take out goods and throw them to the creature right then and there. Momentum would count as you could put a lot of energy into a ball when you toss it.

The whistle, backpack and other options would appear at the bottom of your screen like a hotbar with options. Click an option to see all the possibilities with that option:

Inventory would be the blue box on the left separate from options like whistle.

Respond:
This idea is very early days and we need thoughtful critical feedback to help shape it. We need people willing to go through the process step by step and find flaws in our thinking.

My #1 concern right now is that ESC is not a commonly understood or used key for non-gamers.

Last edited:

RedEagle_P1

Administrator
Staff member
Proud Citizen of Dawn
Interaction keys:

Issue: We need 1 button to move, 1 button to interact and 1 button to pan the camera... all using the mouse. And most only have 2 buttons.
Fix: Click and HOLD to pan, click to move somewhere and right click to interact?

UI/Context:

Dimitri idea, pop up Jelly options only when you LOOK at the Jelly.

RedEagle_P1

Administrator
Staff member
Proud Citizen of Dawn
I think a potential downside of this system is that it interrupts flow and can be quite frustrating to interact with moving things.
We had a very important discussion on this matter and I think it's the one most sticky point atm. Although our game doesn't lend itself to action-oriented people we don't want to sacrifice the ease of building. It's really important that building is not a conversation more annoying task and our discussion let us to the idea that the solution probably has to do with building in a isometric View. The solution to this problem might be iterative.

RedEagle_P1

Administrator
Staff member
Proud Citizen of Dawn
How exactly would you enter modes for the jelly, like petting or playing?
You wouldn't, There wouldn't be a particular mode per se. You would offer the creature food and it would run to you and bite it right off your hand. You would throw a ball and maybe it's not the type that likes a ball and so it would just ignore the ball or be confused. All of this would be dynamic and Interactive.

alberted

Administrator
Staff member
Idea: isometiric view to move around and place blocks. first person view for interactions. both would use only the mouse.

Idea: every interaction with jelly is determined by what item you use with it. examples:
Drag food to mouth feed, throw ball to play with it. Apply name tag to name it. Drag clothes to the jelly to cloth it. Put down special item, to let jelly know to use a ability there, could for example be the ground pound ability.

Idea: isometiric view to move around and place blocks. first person view for interactions. both would use only the mouse.

Idea: every interaction with jelly is determined by what item you use with it. examples:
Drag food to mouth feed, throw ball to play with it. Apply name tag to name it. Drag clothes to the jelly to cloth it. Put down special item, to let jelly know to use a ability there, could for example be the ground pound ability.

But freeze movement when doing so? Right now you can't click and drag stuff in the menu bar in first person because the mouse is always in the middle of the screen.

RedEagle_P1

Administrator
Staff member
Proud Citizen of Dawn

Concern: If we have no movement in first person it makes it so we have to teach them 2 views to play the game. Having them be able to play for 4 min with just the stuff they already know means we have them hooked most likely.

I really like idea 2.

RedEagle_P1

Administrator
Staff member
Proud Citizen of Dawn
But freeze movement when doing so? Right now you can't click and drag stuff in the menu bar in first person because the mouse is always in the middle of the screen.
Yes we would need to make 1st person mouse mode kinda like when you have the menu open.

It's not a bug, it's a feature! :) (It's a bug though, it considers the actual screen, not the viewport)

Anyhow, keep throwing ideas out, I can implemented them quite easily now, new interaction system is pretty much done. Literally a button click to switch between different systems. At runtime too :cool:

RedEagle_P1

Administrator
Staff member
Proud Citizen of Dawn
It's not a bug, it's a feature! :) (It's a bug though, it considers the actual screen, not the viewport)

Anyhow, keep throwing ideas out, I can implemented them quite easily now, new interaction system is pretty much done. Literally a button click to switch between different systems. At runtime too :cool:
Wow awesome!

Patreon